Thursday, September 02, 2010

Something I didn't know

So then I was reading this website, an article here, something about a blogger posting up an entry on "Blacklisted Foreign "Academic Poisons".

It is rather distasteful... I mean, seriously?
Even if I'd someone free-riding on my group project I wouldn't post his/her full name with a photo and post unpleasant things about that person! It's rather immature. If u've got a problem, complain all u want but disclosing such information is plain ruthless and uncalled for.

That being said, I understand their displeasure towards these "foreign academic poisons" (not that we don't have local ones).

One comment from a reader was something that got me thinking. Why are foreigners given so much privilege in our country while citizens like me only enjoy prolly a little bit more? What's the point? I might as well hold another country's passport and enjoy their benefits there, then come to Singapore and enjoy prolly as much benefits as Singaporeans do! The whole idea is stupid.


Here's what he said (and claimed to be true)
CCB:
September 2, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I work in a local polytechnic and I can confirm that 100% of foreign students are heavily subsidised by govt for their school fees.
For 2010, the actual total cost for 1 year of study in polytechnic is $18,000. Yes, it’s that expensive!!! Citizens are heavily subsidised, and pay only $2,200/year.
But 100% of the foreigners will apply for Tuition Grant (i.e. paid by you and me, the taxpayers). This reduces the school fees for foreigners to $4,400.
So we are giving them free $13,600 EVERY YEAR OF STUDY!!
HOW DOES THIS FEEL TO THOSE NSMEN GETTING $9k, $6k, $3k, $0 IN VIRTUAL MONEY?? SHIOK RIGHT?!?

The only condition for these foreigners? They are supposed to stay on in Singapore for 3 years after graduation, otherwise pay back all the Grants they get PLUS interest. But I have come across MANY foreigners who pack up and run if they cannot find a job in Singapore, or they get better offer elsewhere. I have never seen any foreigner who was honest enough to pay Singapore back all the $41+K for running-road. Send them lawyer letters to their home country also no use. They just ignore as their laws are different especially in PRC. Sometimes they already move house. Sometimes even the foreign address they give is fake.

I can also confirm that most developed countries DO NOT subsidise foreigners. Except only those cases where you really earn a bursary or scholarship through your performance and excellent grades etc. Even if you are straight-A student but run out of money — too bad, you will get your ass kicked back to S’pore.

We also get quite a number of visiting academics and staff from overseas universities/polytechnics. Can confirm that those in UK, Australia and NZ charge very minimally for their citizens (much cheaper than Singapore if you compare their average salary to our average salary). Furthermore, their graduates do not need to pay back their govt study loans UNTIL they get a job with a MINIMUM STANDARD OF SALARY!! So if the economy is now bad, and a graduate can only get a lower paying job, he doesn’t need to start paying back his study loan. Also their graduates can temporarily stop paying back if let’s say kenna retrenched or kenna pay-cut to below the minimum salary standard.

Universities and polytechnics in Europe lagi better — it’s free for citizens!! But actually some also free for foreigners e.g. Germany. Very limited places and not easy to get in though. The language is also a barrier. But with austerity in Europe now, I don’t think they will continue offering any free places to foreigners.






Pfft. Whatever. I'm over it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home